The perfect mix of sweet and savory, this burger contains Caramel Creams® caramel sauce in the burger AND on top. Your favorite candy that's been around for 100 years has finally been put into a burger.
Th creator of the Caramel Infused Apple Cheddar Chicken Burger recipe is The Kitchen Whisperer, a food blogger and recipe enthusiast.
Note 1 – If you don’t have chicken you can use ground beef (80/20) or ground turkey.
Note 2 – If you don’t have shallots, you can use sweet onions.
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add 30 unwrapped Caramel Creams, 1/8 cup low sodium soy sauce, and the heavy cream. Stir until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Remove from the heat, pour into a bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a medium non-stick pan over medium heat, add the 2 Tbl of bacon drippings and shallots. Stirring occasionally, cook for 6-8 minutes or until translucent and tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Take one of the apples, remove the skin and chop into small chunks. Remove 1/2 cup of the apple pieces and save the rest of the apple for another use. In a large bowl, add the ground chicken, 1/3 cup soy Caramel Creams caramel sauce, cooked shallots, salt, pepper, and the 1/2 cup apple pieces. Combine the burger mixture well to evenly distribute the flavors.
4. In a large non-stick pan, add the olive oil (or fire up the grill and brush with oil) over medium-high heat.
5. With damp hands, divide the mixture into 6 portions, form the patties and place them into the hot pan (or prepared grill). Cook for 6-8 minutes per side, flipping once. Burgers are done with the internal temperature is 165F°. In the last 1-2 minutes of cooking the burger add 2 slices of sharp cheddar and allow to melt.
6. While the burgers are cooking take your remaining apple and slice six 1/4” round slices (removing any middle core).
7. To assemble place your bun bottoms down first, add a small handful of fresh arugula on top. Next, add 1 slice of bacon per bun, top with the caramel infused apple cheddar burger, a slice of apple and spoon 2-3 Tbl of the remaining soy Caramel Creams caramel sauce over top. Place the burger bun top on and enjoy!
Watch Goetze's Candy and Jennifer Franciotti make the Caramel Infused Apple Cheddar Chicken Burger recipe on WBAL TV for the Sunday Brunch Hour.